Friday, September 9, 2011

Personal Essay Primordial Ooze

List: Experiences I can't forget
-Pallbearer at GPT's burial
-Ma's wedding
-beginning my relationship with TC
-getting Josie
-WLO
-moving to Arizona
-MMS and GPT and the lake
-learning to ride a bike
-first kiss
-Sonja in the back yard
-Ricky born

Things that have bugged me:
-SSRIs
-my GPA
-No medical school
-not a grown-up yet
-not married
-no children
-wish i was beautiful
-my hair is too fine
-wish my parents had really loved each other and stayed married

Explore dreams:
I want to practice medicine.  I want to be a family physician, and get to know my patients, really listen to them, and advise them well.  I also want to be a nurse.  I want to make people comfortable and care for them, be with them in times of stress and discomfort, to make them feel better and be a liaison between physician and patient.  I wish I had studied more in my undergrad.  I wish I had gotten better grades, had gone on to medical school right away.  My cousin is about to get in, and she's four years younger than I.  I want to maintain my 4.0 from last year into this year.  I want to get into NCC's nursing program.  I want to be the person people turn to, with warm hands and a quiet, reassuring voice, who makes them feel cared for.

Confusing period:
I wish I had known more about life when I was a teenager.  I knew my parents were good friends, but nothing more than that, I knew I wanted to be in love and not have it mellow into platonic friendship like that, I didn't know what to think when they finally got divorced, I wish there was a way to put my life in order so it makes sense.  I don't know what the next years will bring, but I know it's something I can control by being the best student I can be.

Turning points:
-Graduating high school
-moving to AZ
-Ma and PB divorce
-Graduating ASU
-Moving home
-GPT passing
-going back to school at IHCC
-Katrina relief trip


I hope these gel into something I can work with for my personal essay.  I think there's a lot about identity as a function of education or career, which is how my family really measures people.  I think my hopes for medicine and nursing are the primary driving factors for everything in my life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment